The ethos and culture of the school is based on the teachings of J. Krishnamurti and the attempt is to:
- Discover a way of living that is whole, sane and intelligent and not merely concerned with intellect, memory / skills
- Look beyond academic excellence – teacher and taught explore not only the outer world but also the inner – conditioning, ways of thinking and behaviour
- Understand the importance and limitations of knowledge
- To help one to think for oneself, and out of that feel immense confidence, to be a creative human being and not a slavish machine
- Nurture sensitivity and compassion
Jiddu Krishnamurti, long acknowledged as one of the world's foremost teachers, dedicated his life to awakening people to their own conditioning and to the possibility of freedom. He maintained,
“A school is a place where one learns both the importance of knowledge and its limitation. It is a place where one learns to observe the world without a particular point of view or conclusion. One learns to look at the whole of man's endeavor, his search for beauty, his search for truth and a way of living that is not a contradiction between conclusion and action.It is a place where both teacher and the taught learn a way of life in which conflict ends. It is the concern of these schools to bring about a new generation of human beings who are free from self-centered action, to bring about a mind that has no conflict within itself and so end the struggle and conflict in the world about us." - J. Krishnamurti
A Krishnamurti School concerns itself with education of the total human being. Knowledge and intellectual capability alone are not sufficient to meet life’s challenges. Learning to enquire, to observe oneself, to relate with other people and the earth, is the core intention of the school.
A Krishnamurti School is a constantly questioning, evolving institution, with the intention of creating an environment, a climate where one can bring about, if at all possible, a new human being. It is imperative therefore that parents and students understand and appreciate the intention of the school and actively participate in this movement.
"The purpose, the aim and drive of these schools is to equip the child with the most excellent technological proficiency so that he may function with clarity and efficiency in the modern world, and far more important to create the right climate so that the child may develop fully as a complete human being.This means giving him the opportunity to flower in goodness so that he is rightly related to people, things and ideas, to the whole of life. To live is to be related. There is no relationship to anything if there is not the right feeling for beauty, a response to nature, to music and art, a highly developed aesthetic sense." – J. Krishnamurti
The school sincerely attempts to translate this intent by adopting the following :
- Relationship between the student and the teacher- is human to human rather than position to position.
- Emphasis is on learning and facilitation and not teaching and absorbing.
- Recognize the fact that each child is unique and one size does not fit all !
- Methodology and pedagogical techniques that ensure that there is no hierarchy of knowledge and suitable for differential learning capacities and learning speed
- Art, music, dance and sports form an integral part of the learning process
Learning from nature is facilitated by the bounty all around.